Monday, February 05, 2007

My World of Hell, part seven

"Not real," I whispered. The police came inside. The radios at their side blared something incomprehensible. "Not real."

"It is quite real." I turned. Hedrack stood next to an open security door. Behind him were several orderlies with night sticks. These were probably the stun sticks that would incapacitate me before I could say magic missile.

"Hedrack," I said.

"Doctor, if you please," he said. It was his voice, but the tone was different. He had that calm tone that therapists use. His posture and tone were non-threatening in every way. "I'm afraid you will have to return with me."

"No, I don't think so."

He called me by my real name, something he had no business knowing. "You've hurt a number of orderlies. Fortunately, not seriously. And now you've kidnapped two patients."

"Kidnapped?" I laughed. "I am freeing them."

"Are you?" he asked. "Look at them."

I did. They stared at me like a couple of draft animals. They were completely oblivious to what was going on around them.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"You are lucid," he said. "For the moment, at least." He gestured at the orderlies and they lowered their night sticks. "This is two such moments in a week. This is very encouraging."

"They are leaving," I said, gesturing to Kella and Teela. "You aren't going to hurt them. This is between us."

"I'm afraid not," Hedrack said. "They are patients here and they must remain here. Just as you must."

"Go to hell," I said. "Any layer, I don't care."

He called me by my real name. "Don't retreat like this, I beg you." I could tell that he was begging. He stepped forward. His hands were in front of him where I could see they were empty. "You have made progress. I ask you to consider what you see. Consider that this is real."

I shook my head. "When Kella and Teela are safe we can--"

"That is not their names," Hedrack said. It was him, I could see it, but he had a modern hair cut and he wore a suit and tie under his white coat.

He gestured toward Teela. "This is Tara. She is seventeen. She was raped by her own father. She has since retreated into her own world of make believe. Now, thanks to you, she has retreated into your make believe world. I hope the damage you have caused her can be undone."

Teela looked up at the doctor. "What is going on?"

"I didn't--" I started, but Hedrack continued.

"This is Karen," he said, gesturing to Kella. "Her home burned down, taking the lives of her husband and child. She has been catatonic ever since. How you managed to rouse her I do not know, though this is not exactly the method I would have chosen."

Kella looked around. "Where are we?"

"They are patients here," Hedrack said. "Patients, just like you."

A radio squawked behind me. The cops stood there quietly, waiting to see what would happen.

"I don't need help," I said.

"Yes, you do," Hedrack said. "You are not in your right mind. If you give yourself up now then no charges will be pressed. If you continue this delusion and try to escape, these officers will certainly stop you."

There was nowhere to go. Every way was blocked. I looked at my hands. My armor was gone. I wore the same hospital outfit that Teela and Kella wore. My sword had become a nightstick.

"Please," Hedrack said. "Give me that and let's return to your room."

I looked at Kella and Teela. They looked at me, baffled. They were not afraid of the people around us or of Hedrack. Did that mean...?

For a split second, I believed him. Part of me knew that I was in Fort Logan Mental Health Institute, as Hedrack told me before. Something happened to me when I went camping so long ago. I had become violent, dangerous. I saw myself handcuffed in the back of a police car. I had a brief vision of a court appearance. The judge and and the bailiff looked like the two traders at the trading post in Hommlet. I saw myself running through an open field at night while wearing a bright, orange outfit. I saw myself wandering in a school full of children. I kept thinking I had to rescue them. They, and their teachers, were terrified.

Hedrack stood before me, his hand outstretched. I lifted my own hand and started to give him my nightstick. I did a double take. The nightstick grew longer in my hand. It changed color. It was no longer made of a dark, hard plastic. It was made of steel, and it was very sharp.

Hedracks face was no longer serene. He turned and looked at the security guard in front of the desk. The guard wore long flowing robes. He looked at me, concentrating. A swirl of colors enveloped his head.

"You fool!" Hedrack said. "It's not working."

Everything changed in a flash. We were in the natural cavern. The police were gone. In their place were several human guards. The orderlies had become orcs, and Hedrack had lost his suit and tie. His black cloak of elemental evil was draped about his shoulders. And my sword was pointing at him.

I took two quick steps forward. Hedrack didn't have time. My sword burried itself in his chest, finding a neat little space between his armor. He looked more surprised than anything. I put my foot on his chest and pulled. My sword came out, along with a good deal of blood. Hedrack fell to his knees. As he tipped forward, I swung in an arc. His head rolled across the floor.

"Get back!" I shouted. I pushed Kella and Teela toward a corner. The security guard, who was now a wizard, started some sort of incantation. I charged him and sliced open his belly. His spell ruined, all he could do was stand there and keep his guts from spilling on to the floor.

The orcs froze while the humans charged. They were decently trained, but not well enough. They left themselves wide open time and again. I took advantage each time. One lost an arm. He laid down and started screaming as he bled out. One tried to get away, but I didn't want him warning anyone. I cut his Achilles tendon and he went down, grasping his calf as it bunched up inside his leg.

Kella murmured some strange words. Strange, green vines came out of the floor and wrapped themselves around the remaining two humans. One of them was so startled he dropped his sword. I killed the one on the floor before I killed the other two. I didn't have time for heroics or fair fighting. I left the screamer alone. He leaked blood everywhere. He'd die before long.

The orcs charged with clubs. They were even easier than the humans. In seconds they were dead.

The mage, an elf by the looks of it, stood there, holding his guts in. He couldn't cast spells if he couldn't move his hands, so I left him. He'd be dead in a few minutes anyway.

Teela vomitted on the floor. I took her by the arm and guided her down the passage. Kella followed close behind.

-------------

I went with them to the end of the passage. I hadn't seen the open air in I don't know how long.

"I know this area," Kella said. "I can get us to Nulb."

Teela still looked a little pale. "Gods, that was...that was so terrible."

I nodded. "It's over now. Teela, I don't know if I can take you home."

"I live close by," she said. "I will be fine." She looked as if she wanted to hug me and then stopped. An hour ago I was a stone cold killer. She still saw that in me.

"I will guide her home," Kella said. She took my hand. "Thank you, John Carter."

"Any time," I said. I hesitated. I was afraid of the answer she would give. But I had to know. "Kella, do you remember what happened? Did you see anything...strange?"

"Yes," she said. "Everyone was dressed strangely. There was a wall of glass...it didn't make any sense."

"No," I said. I didn't realize I had been holding my breath until then. "No, it didn't."