Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Rescuing the prince

We couldn't wake the man up. Some sort of magic kept him this stasis, though for what purpose we didn't know. At last, we decided to carry him out of the room and find a safe place for him. Once we got out into the temple area he started to move.

"Set him down," Audry said. She pulled out a blanket from her pack and curled it up under his head. Audry leaned over him as he stirred, a flask of water in hand. After a few moments he opened his eyes. He looked directly up at Audry.

"Hello," he said.

"Hello yourself," Audry said.

"I take it this is Mount Celestia?"

Audry stifled a laugh. "No. Far from it."

------------------------------

About half an hour later Thrommel had recovered his wits. Audry babied him like no one I had seen. I've known Audry for a while. She's a pretty lady, but first and foremost she is a Paladin devoted to Saint Cuthbert. This means she routinely turns down offers from men. She is never cold about it. Indeed, she is quite polite, but she seemed completely uninterested in relationships with men.

"She just hasn't met the right man," Anna used to say. Her own interest in men was healthy. She enjoyed looking at them, though I think she only courted (read: dated) one man--a young half elf in Verbobonc. She broke it off with him but never said why, and I didn't think it was my business to ask.

After our meeting with Prince Thrommel, I think it's safe to say Audry has met the right man.

"I wish to thank you," Thrommel said. "All of you. I do not know how I got there."

"What's the last thing you remember?" Marc asked.

"We were riding from Greyhawk to Mitrik," he said. "We...we were ambushed. I do not remember who. I received a blow to the head, and then I awoke here." He looked around. "What is this place, exactly?"

"None other than the Elemental Temple itself," Anna said. "The next closest thing to the Abyss."

"Dear Gods," Thrommel said. "Who has captured me?"

"We've heard a few names bounced around," Saul said. "Hedrack is one we hear the most. He seems to be the leader in these parts."

"I have never heard of such a person," Thrommel said. "And what, pray tell, are all of you doing here?"

"Causing trouble," I said. "As much as we can. It's part of our job."

We introduced ourselves and where we were from. I simply said I was from Hommlet and spent much time in Hommlet, which is essentially true. I didn't think we had time to explain where I really came from.

From there we told him how we had been "causing trouble." We started with Hommlet a year ago, and how we sacked the moathouse. We also told him of our adventures here and of the recent problems in Hommlet.

"So you are the ones who removed the threat of the moathouse," Thrommel said. "And it is good you saved those children. 'Causing trouble' eh? That's a mild way of putting it."

"Just wait until we're done here," Anna said.

"We suspected the invaders from the south had been planning on staging fortifications within the Gamboge Forest," Thrommel said. He gestured around him. "I suppose that is what this is."

"We suspect as much," Marc said, "but we have no proof. We know that invaders in Hommlet had ties here, but that is all."

"Regardless," Thrommel said, "it will be good when this place is destroyed." He stood. "I would help you, really I would. But I must return to Mitrik as soon as possible to report."

"We know an alternate exit," Audry said. "We will guide you."

"I thank you." He held out his hand called a single word. It sounded like "Fraggle Rock" or something. Audry corrected me later. Fragarach. As he called the name, a sword flew from near the coffin. It landed in his hands and he sheathed. It was something a Jedi would do.

We proceeded to the secret tunnel, trying our best to keep quiet. The room of locked doors was empty, which meant the ettin had either not returned or proceeded to warn his superiors. Nothing we could do about that at this point.

We reached the tunnel almost without incident. When we got to the 20-sided-die room we had to fight more trolls. They fell easily. Marc burned their corpses with some sort of fire spell. From there we made our way quickly down the secret stairs and into to the tunnel. Once there, we felt free to talk.

Thrommel asked us much about what we had seen. We told him of the rival temples and how they had fought against each other (with a little sabotage from us). We also told of the wood elves that helped fight as well. This surprised him a little. It seems wood elves have a reputation of staying out of everyone's business and killing anyone that gets in there's. If they are involved, then the temple is indeed a threat to the surrounding land.

He spent much time speaking with Audry. It turns out Prince Thrommel is also in service to Saint Cuthbert. We let them speak as we followed the passage out of the tunnel. We quieted down once more when we reached the end of the passage. We remembered the guards stationed here. But when we exited the tunnel, we only found bodies.

Anna pulled an arrow from a body. "Wood elves. It seems they are still helping us out."

"That is good news," Thrommel said. "Where exactly are we?"

"Nulb is about an hours walk that way," Saul said, pointing south.

"Ah, good," Thrommel said. "I know precisely where we are now." He turned and faced us. "Thank you my friends. I cannot thank you enough for my rescue. This temple, you intend to continue your mission here?"

"Can't leave a job unfinished," I said.

"Indeed," he said. "I must report to my superiors."

"A prince has superiors?" Anna asked. Audry elbowed her. Thrommel only smiled.

"Yes, I do," he said. "I must inform them of events in Greyhawk and beyond, and also of events here and Hommlet. Then, I shall return here with an armed force. It may be a couple of weeks before I can return. Find out what information you can, then we'll put an end to this."

"Sounds good," I said. I held out my hand and he accepted it. His handshake was strong. "Good luck to you sir."

"And you as well," he said. He shook everyone's hands. Anna gave him a strong and exaggerated handshake, which seemed to surprise. He took Audry's hand lightly. "Thank you."

She nodded, star struck. Thrommel then removed a gold chain from around his neck. It had an emblem of a crown and a crescent moon on it. He gave it to her.

"Farewell." And with that, he was gone.

We stood and watched him leave. When he was out of sight we went back into the tunnel. As we proceeded down the tunnel, Anna teased Audry.

"He is handsome, yes?"

"Of course he is," Audry said quickly.

"I know little of politics north of here," Anna said, "but I understand he is free."

"Free?" I asked.

"He has no woman," Anna said. She winked at Audry. "Good news, eh?"

"I wouldn't know," Audry said.

"Perhaps you will," Anna said. Audry gasped, but it only made Anna laugh.

We went back to the bed chambers where the assassin and wizard slept. It seemed a little more defensible than sitting out in the cave. Saul got some rope and tied off the trap door leading to the circular room. We then spiked the doors shut for the wizard's room.

We went to the guard tower, but it seems it is occupied once more. We quietly tied the door shut and boobytrapped it. It was possible that they did not know of the secret door further down this tunnel and wouldn't bother us. To be safe, we spiked that door shut before going back to the bedrooms.

Overall, we're fairly secure here.

I have no idea what time it is. It is so easy to lose track of time underground. All I know is that I'm exhausted. Marc has learned some new spells from the spell books he found. After some sleep, we'll head back out. Maybe we can find the level below this one, and maybe we can learn more about this place. I hope Thrommel can get here soon with troops. I doubt we can take on a level full of ogres, trolls, hill giants, and humans. Oh, and evil clerics too.

I really need sleep.