Thursday, May 17, 2007

From the shadows

"So, what exactly did you tell her?" I asked.

We looked around the basement of the burned out building, making sure she wasn't hiding somewhere. Nothing. We couldn't even find evidence that she had been there.

"We just said we're here to help," Anna said. "I don't think we even mentioned our names."

"We didn't," Saul said. "We were careful. We thought that she might be working for the Slavelords and they set that up to catch us."

"One would think that she would at least wait until she had more information before running to the authorities," Marc said. "She doesn't even have names."

"But she has descriptions," Audry said. "In a city like this, anyone who would go out of their way to help a slave in distress is subject to suspicion."

"I think we're over analyzing," I said. "She might have gotten recaptured."

"If so," Marc said, "then she will likely reveal everything about how she escaped."

"What do you think they'll do to her?" Anna asked.

That was one thing I didn't want to think about. Having been tortured to the point of losing my mind, I had a basic idea. Far worse could be done to a teenage girl.

"Do we look for her?" I asked.

"Where?" Saul said. "We don't even know what happened."

"I do," a voice said.

I had Kantos out his sheath in a second, holding the weapon at the individual who had somehow climbed down into the basement without any of us hearing him. The "man" was really an elf. He stood around five foot and had long, unkempt hair. He held up his hands in surrender, locking his eyes with mine.

"I mean you know harm," he said.

"Good for you," I said. Kantos hummed in my hand, ready to fight. My sword, Kantos, was not an ordinary sword.

"Put it down, John," Audry said. "He is fine."

Paladins have a way of knowing your intentions. If she said he was cool, then he was cool.

"Indeed," Kantos said. My sword talks, but rarely. "I would not wish to be responsible for this one's death. Look at his wrists."

The elf stared at me sword, not believing that what he heard came from a sword of all things. He reached up to touch the blade, and as he did I saw the scars on his wrists. They were the same scars I had on my wrists, but far more severe. The elf served on a slave barge, probably for a long time.

I lowered my sword. "Sorry. We're a bit on edge."

"I understand," he said. "Forgive me, I did not wish to startle you, but after you've been sneaking around as long as I have it becomes a habit."

"You've had a lot of practice, apparently," Marc said.

"I was not always a slave," he said. "My name is Emril."

I suppressed a smile. That and the desire to yell out Bam!

"Yes, he's had a lot of practice," Anna said. "But he's too good. He's been trained."

Emril nodded. "I was a burglar in Nyrond. I was captured after stealing from the wrong merchant. It turned out this merchant's business in dealing in jewelry was merely a front. He dealt in people."

"Then you found yourself on a barge," I said, pointing at his wrists. I finally sheathed Kantos. "I'd love to hear the story, but right now I'd like to know where the young lady went."

"She is with us," Emril said.

"Us?" Saul said.

"Escaped slaves," Emril said. "We had been looking for Lady Elsia for sometime."

"Lady?" Audry said. "She is royalty?"

Emril nodded. "A princess from Nyrond."

"Oh my," Audry said. "It seems the Slavelords care little for whom they enslave."

"They do not," Emril said. "Yet, some of us have found our freedom."

"How many?" Saul asked.

"Many," Emril said, and his tone suggested he didn't care to elaborate. "I escaped six months ago, and I've been helping others escape."

"Why stick around?" Anna asked. "Why didn't you leave when you could?"

"I wish to help others escape," he said. "I know that it might mean I will be recaptured, but...but I must help those who cannot help themselves. It is Eilistraee's will."

"Eilistraee?" Marc said. "Her followers are some what rare."

"On the surface of this world, yes," Emril said. He stepped forward. Only then did I get a good look at his eyes. They shone a brilliant pink. His skin was deathly pale. I didn't earlier because of the dirt covering him.

"I was born as such," he said, gesturing at his face. "Pale of skin and eye. My people's skin is much darker."

Everyone got very uncomfortable at that point, even though both Audry and Kantos vouched for him. Our reaction didn't disturb him. He seemed to expect it.

"Yes, it is true. I am drow."