Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Where did he get those wonderful toys?

Anna and Audry listened calmly as I told them how I came to be here. They asked no questions. When I was finished, they sat quietly for several moments. Finally, Anna broke the silence.

"Well, you are insane, aren't you?"

"The perfect adventurer," Saul said. "I did mention that he arrived in a muddy grove without leaving tracks?"

"Yes, you did," Audry said. "Magic can allow one to do that."

"Point taken," Marc said. "Still, look at him. His clothes, his boots, his...what do you call that?"

"A poncho," I said. "You should see some of the other stuff I have." A thought hit me. "I'll show you." I reached into my pockets. I had chapstick, eyedrops, my house keys, the car alarm control, and a pocket knife. They each took something. Anna liked the light on my car alarm control. She pressed the button repeatedly to light it. I imagined my car alarm going on and off back in the garage.

"And what is this for?" Anna asked.

"Car alarm," I said. Everyone looked at me strangely. "A car is a transportation vehicle."

"Like a carriage?" Marc asked.

"Something like that. But there are no horses."

"Then how does it move?" Audry asked.

"It has an engine," I said. "It...well, the engine runs by burning fuel. The engine itself causes wheels to spin, which pushes the car forward."

They seemed more confused than before, so I went on. "Anyway, that device activates and deactivates a system on the car that alerts me when someone tries to break into it."

"And how does it do that?"Saul asked.

"For starters it makes a very loud noise," I said. "It then...." I tried to find away to describe the ignition kill switch. "It then prevents anyone from using it."

They seemed to accept this, but I could still see the confusion in their faces.

"What is this?" Saul asked. He held up my eyedrops.

"It's a liquid that helps moisturize your eyes," I said. "You know, when they dry out."

Saul shook the bottle. "How does it work?"

I showed him how to unscrew the lid--something that the others found more fascinating than any of my other items. "You then squeeze some of the liquid into your eye."

Saul looked at it for a moment. He then pointed at his eye and squeezed it as hard as he could. The liquid shot out of the bottle like water from a fire hose. He cursed as he dropped the bottle and rubbed his eye. "Your people have strange customs."

Anna found the complexity of the keys exciting and wanted desperately to see the locks. I wondered what exactly it was she did for a living, and if perhaps I should nail all of my stuff down.

I explained the chapstick to Audry, who immediately put some on before I could stop her. Apparently, spreading of germs is not fully understood in this world. She pursed her lips, tasting some of the chapstick. She frowned, but she didn't wipe off the chapstick from her lips.

"Now tell me," I said. "Where in the world would you get things like this."

"Magic," Anna says. "I say it's magic."

Marc spoke, but I didn't understand the words. I started to ask him to repeat it, but then I realized that the words were nonsensical. Soon, a glow appeared between Marc's outstretched hands. After a moment, a ring on Audry's finger glowed. She looked at it, startled for a moment, and then relaxed as if she knew what it was that caused it.

"They are not magical," Marc said. "Though your ring is."

"Family heirloom," Audry said. She covered the ring with her hand

"No, they're not magical," I said. "They're...well, they're just common items manufactured on my world. That's the best way I can describe it. I have more in my pack."

"Really?" Marc said. "I'd be very interested in seeing them. At a later time, of course."

"Yeah," Anna said. "I think it's about time we get down to business."

"And that would be?" Saul asked.

"Rufus and Burne," Marc said. "Since they have not been able to find any adventurers to help them...."

"Oh, is that why you wanted me here?" Audry said. "I thought it might be because you enjoyed my company."

"You know we enjoy your company, Audry," Saul said. "You know, for a paladin you've got a bit of an attitude."

Audry sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry. I've been under a little stress lately."

"Yeah," Anna said. "A murdered father is one definition of stress." Anna grimaced, looking at me. She didn't want me to know, but I didn't acknowledge her.

"Your father?" I asked. "I'm terribly sorry."

"Thank you," Audry said. She glanced at Anna irritably. "It's been a year now, but...they didn't find his killer."

"And it's unlikely they will," Saul said. "I'd say things in Nyrond are worse than anyone thought."

"And we can tell that story later, okay?" Anna said, giving me a quick glance. "So, should we go see Burne and Rufus now?"

"I already have," Marc said. "They would like to meet with us later tonight."

"At the tower?" Saul asked.

"Here, actually," Marc said. "Along with the mayor and Ostler."

"Ostler?" Audry rubbed her chin. "What does he have to do with it?"

It took me a moment to place the name. The innkeeper!

"Burne wouldn't say," Marc added.

"I wonder if Ostler's back in the game again," Saul said.

"I bet he never left," Anna said. "I think he misses the good ol' days of mayhem with the temple." She nodded at me. "He should be there, too."

"You want me there?" I asked. "I thought you didn't trust me."

"I don't," she said. "This way I can keep an eye on you." She grinned at me and stood. "Shall we?"